Saturday, July 6, 2013

Straw Cups

My 7-month-old absolutely loves water. I think it's a combination of the hot weather, cold drink, and just wanting what we have. It's great, because it's amusing, but it'd be nice if we didn't have to make sure that he wasn't damaging his teeth whenever he chomps down on glassware. It's also be nice if there wasn't a huge mess every time we fed him water at a restaurant. It'd also be fabulous if we didn't have to hold the cup for him.



I never intended for Markus to ever use a sippy cup because Tracey, RN, said it was unnecessary. Just feed liquids in a spoon until he can manage to drink from a normal cup. If you do have a sippy cup, take out the valve, so then the kid won't be using it like a bottle.

So I did. Grandpa M had bought us a Thermos Foogo Sippy Cup way back when Markus was only 2 months old.

I took out the valve, but fancy schmancy as it is, I've been using the sippy part like a teether. Markus doesn't know how to tip the cup back to get at the water, and that thing is heavy. I'm always afraid he'll give himself a concussion (not quite that bad, but you know).

But anyway, I still needed some solution to all the issues around water, so I looked up straw cups. This occupational therapist absolutely stands by straw-drinking. Her article is here, but I'll sum it up as well.

  • quicker development of muscle coordination for speech - sucking on a straw is different from sucking on a bottle, or nursing
  • quicker development of eating solids
  • sensory feedback - the sucking can be calming
Armed with that information, I went on a search for the best cups and found a couple sites. The keys are to choosing a good one are:
  • narrow-ish straw. If a kid is learning, then they might suck too hard and choke on the water (not life-threatening, but would be off-putting). If the straw is too narrow, the kid might give up because they never get their water reward.
  • a good size for your child to grip
  • easy to clean
  • durable
  • insulated if you need it
I was looking into getting a Thermos Foogo, because the lids for all in the Foogo line are interchangeable, but I decided against it. I think some reviewers were saying something about it being hard to clean.

My friend has a zoli for her kid.

I was a bit skeptical because the straw is weighted and will go wherever the water is. I thought it might be a better idea if Markus learned about gravity, but then, who was I kidding? He's 7 months old. Plenty of time to learn that a normal straw will only work if the liquid is in the bottom of the cup. The zoli is more expensive than most other cups, but so far, very well worth it! Markus LOVES it, and he even managed to drink some water out of it! He's still learning, so he doesn't get water every time, but so far so good!

Don't get too excited about the colours, though. I'm not sure if they're all available in Canada. I picked up a set of replacement straws, and am glad I did because Markus really chew HARD, and I'm pretty sure that the original straw will wear out sooner rather than later.


No comments:

Post a Comment